Monday, August 24, 2009

Worry Window

Are you a worrier? If so, I have a great skill for you to learn and to practice

First of all write your worries down. Identify a 15 minute "worry time" per day. When you begin to worry, stop and be sure that it is "worry time." If it is not time to worry, think about something else, or do something else until it is "worry time." This may sound simple and ridiculous, but go ahead a try it! It really works.

A second technique is to divide a paper into 4 sections. Label one section, "I Can Control; Important to Me." Label another section "I Cannot Control; Important to Me" Label a third section "Not Important to Me; I Can Control" Label the final section "I Cannot Control; Not Important to Me."

Now list all worries, people, issues, etc. Put them in the proper section. In section one, "I Can Control; Important to Me" - your name should appear. In the secotion "I Cannot Control; Important to Me" - other people's name should appear.

Once we discover what we can control and are willing to release the time, energy and focus of what we cannot control and that is important to us, we spend more quality time making the changes to need to our self, and we are much happier with our self and our life.

"Energy flows where attention goes"

Happy letting go of worry

Dr. Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment